Neena Gupta is the popular Indian veteran actress and TV serials director. She is the two-time National award winner for the Hindi films ‘Bazaar Sitaram’ (1993) and ‘Woh Chokri’ (1994).
Neena Gupta was born on Thursday, 4 June 1959 (age 60 years; as in 2019), in Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. She completed her schooling from The Lawrence School, Sanawar in Solan, Himachal Pradesh. Later, she completed her M. A. and M. Phil in Sanskrit from Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Neena Gupta was born in a Hindu family. Her father’s name is Late R. N. Gupta. Her mother Shakuntala Gupta died due to cancer. She has a brother Pankaj Gupta.
At the age of 16, she got married to a boy from Calcutta who studied from IIT Delhi, but the marriage lasted for only 2 years.
While shooting for a TV serial in the 1980s, she met veteran actor Alok Nath. There were rumours that they were engaged, but later got separated.
Later, she started dating Shaarangdev, the son of the popular Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj. There were rumours that they both got engaged in a private ceremony, but later, they both parted ways.
In the late 1980s, she started dating the West Indies cricket legend, Vivian Richards. The couple dated for almost 13 years. She has a daughter with him out of marriage, who was born in 1989. Neena and Vivian’s daughter is the popular Indian fashion designer, Masaba Gupta. Neena never got married to him, but she is still in touch with him.
In 2002, she met the Delhi-based Chartered Accountant, Vivek Mehra. They met on a flight to Mumbai and instantly got connected. Vivek had separated from his wife at that time. After dating for a few years, the couple got married on 15 July 2008 in a private ceremony in the US. Neena lives in Mumbai while her husband lives in Delhi.
After completing her acting course from The National School of Drama in 1982, she started her career in acting. She acted in the film ‘Aadharsheela’ in Delhi. She debuted as an actor in the Bollywood film ‘Saath Saath’ in 1982.
In the same year, she came into the limelight with the International film ‘Gandhi,’ in which she played the character of ‘Abha.’
Later, she appeared in Bollywood films like Mandi (1983), Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron (1983), Rihaee (1988), Swarg (1990), and Drishti (1990).
In 1985, she started acting in the Hindi TV serials with ‘Khandaan.’ Later, she appeared in many TV serials including Daddy (1989), Drishti (1990), Saans (1999), Siski (2000), Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin (2004), and Kitani Mohabbat Hai (2009).
In 1991, she debuted in the Malayalam film ‘Vasthuhara.’
Her bold appearance in the item song ‘Choli Ke Peeche’ alongside Madhuri Dixit in the movie ‘Khalnayak’ (1993) was one of the chartbuster songs of that era.
In 1999, she directed the TV serial ‘Saans.’ In 2002, she hosted a game show ‘Kamzor Kadi Kaun’ aired on Star Plus.
She appeared as a supporting actor in many Bollywood film including Alone (2015), Veere Di Wedding (2018), and Mulk (2018).
She again came into the limelight with the Hindi comedy-drama film ‘Badhaai Ho’ in 2018.
In the same year, she penned down the script of ‘Kehne Ko Humsafar Hain’ a Hindi TV web series.
In 2019, she appeared in various films including ‘Music Teacher,’ ‘Gwalior,’ and ‘The Last Color.’
In 2020, she acted in Hindi films like ‘Panga,’ ‘Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan,’ and ’83.’
- She was in a long term relationship with the cricket legend Vivian Richards. She got pregnant with his child without getting married in 1988. This created a lot of buzz in the media at that time. She received a lot of criticism, and even her career got affected by this.
- She was in the news for a post on her Instagram account in 2017. She wrote,
I live and work in Mumbai. I am a good artist and am looking for good work.”
Awards & Honours
National Film Award
1993: Best First Non-Feature Film for Bazaar Sitaram
1994: Best Supporting Actress for Woh Chokri
1999: Best Actress for Saans
2019: Best Actress for Badhaai Ho
2019: Best Actress (Critics) for Badhaai Ho
India International Film Festival of Boston
2019: Best Actress for The Last Color
Food: Rajma Chawal
Actor(s): Amitabh Bachchan and Vinod Khanna
Singer: Lata Mangeshkar
Colour: Cherry Red
- She is alumni of the National School of Drama.
- Reportedly, her mother wanted her to become an IAS officer.
- She used to play hockey in her college’s hockey team.
- She got Rs 10,000 for the film ‘Gandhi’ in 1982.
- As per the sources, she got engaged thrice but none of them ended to a marriage.
- She met Vivian after 5 years of their daughter was born.
- She said that her father was a supporting pillar for her while she was facing difficulties in life.
- She has appeared in many TV commercials.
- She has featured on the cover of various renowned magazines.
- She is often spotted drinking alcohol in parties.
- She ran a theatre production company, ‘Sahaj Productions’ with actor, Rajendra Gupta.
- She follows a healthy vegetarian diet.
- Her hobbies include reading and travelling.
- She is an animal lover and owns a pet dog, Luca.
- She is an ardent follower of Lord Ganesha.
- In an interview, she revealed her biggest regret was to give birth to a child without getting married.
- In an interview, when she was asked about not supporting her daughter to become an actor, she said,
I told her if you want to be an actor then you go abroad. Because tumhara jis tarah ka shakal hai aur body hai, tumhe yahan Indian mileu mein bohot kum role milenge, even if you become a good actor. So, tumko woh heroine nahi milegi. Hema Malini nahi banoge, Alia (Bhatt) nahi banoge.”
- In 1997, she released a pop album called ‘Go To Court’ which was a big flop.
- After the release of her film ‘Badhaai Ho’ in 2018, she received an appreciation letter from the legendary actor Amitabh Bachchan.
- In 2020, she appeared on ‘The Kapil Sharma Show.’ She appeared with the team of ‘Panga’ film and then with the team of ‘Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan.’